Friday, June 29, 2012

Leaving a Mark

For the last few months (more?), I've been taking a bit of a break. Which seems ludicrous, since I've only made a few posts here, but I needed it all the same. Now that a rather raucous and sudden thunderstorm cropped up outside, I am stuck in my apartment and got the motivation to write here again.

I recently (read: about two months ago) finished a longstanding thesis project for my undergraduate degree in an 18 hour marathon the night before the document had to be submitted. It was something that dragged out forever over my senior year of undergrad, and that I am so glad to be done with. Of course, my pride kicked in and won out with the procrastination. That's usually how these kind of things go. Wait, wait, wait, realize I'm going to be the crazy laughingstock who can't finish anything, and then finish it in an extremely short amount of time. For a 48 pg. document, 18 hours was quite a short amount of time.

Now, I am desperately searching for a job, something probably most people from my graduating class (and many other recent college-grads) are doing as well. Grad school didn't work out; I didn't apply to enough schools not in the top 40 in my field. With my small, private university degree, the schools I applied to were probably scratching their heads. While my curriculum vitae is more than adequate, the degree sure isn't Princeton.

I'm crossing fingers here with a job I recently interviewed for at a prestigious research lab. My dad's take on the situation?

Dad: "Do you want this?"
Me: "YES! I mean, of course I do. I would love to work there."
Dad: "Then it will happen."
Me: :eyeroll:

That was about a month before the interview, when I was still visiting family and the boyfriend in various other states. But sometimes, the people you love do give good advice. Like on my commute up to this interview, my best friend from childhood texted me "Just be yourself." And it was perfect, like a whole new epiphany. Just be yourself is a concept that is foreign during interviews and anything academic-y. Especially for a high-self monitoring person like myself.  I thought, "what the heck, I might as well give it a shot." I went in with minimal preparation for an all day interview with almost 15 or so different people, and aced it, according to some words floating around. All that I did was answer honestly--and--I gave them passion.

I've had very little passion since I lost my dream of becoming a professional musician. Most people who know me don't realize how much of an impact on my self-esteem and well-being this had when I was a teenager. I was forced to moved, parents divorced, and dreams fell to the wayside in the wake of Major Depression.

But here is a shiny, new dream presenting itself to me. Not one that necessarily involves this job, but in which it would be extremely helpful. To get a degree in neuroscience after taking more math and science (or getting into this job), and to eventually bring back the kind of neuro tech and rigor to my undergraduate alma mater that would help psych students who, much like myself, will face a tough time showing their degree is worth it. Because of a science and mathematics project that will likely begin in the next 3-5 years at my alma mater with children, it couldn't be better timing (well, my plan would work out in 10 years or so). When that becomes a large success, I can plan on pushing for more, not just for younger students visiting the school, but also for the actual university students. And this is what I would be willing to work toward, this goal. For 10 years. I haven't felt like this since I was a kid. Elated, excited, ready to begin, ready to work hard.

"[She/He] who has a why can endure any how."
((F. Nietzsche))


And I am wholly excited to have this reason to endure the hard work, to keep trying even when I want so badly to give up. But avoiding fear/pain isn't my primary goal anymore. Doing what I love and leaving a mark on this world in a positive way is.

No comments:

Post a Comment